Sunday, July 19, 2009

Fed protections based on sexual orientations to pass U.S. Senate

Over at the Illinois Review (crossroads of the conservative community), they're ranting about the Matthew Shepard hate crimes bill--

Both Illinois U.S. Senators Dick Durbin and Roland Burris supported providing federal monies to states and local jurisdictions to prosecute "hate crimes" based on an individual's "perceived or actual" sexual orientation, opening the way for federal protection for transgenders, cross-dressers, bisexuals and sexually- confused persons.
The mainstream media isn't stroking their bigotry hard enough, so they're going to the Concerned Women of America for their fix...

My reply

I'm a retired Sergeant First Class. I enlisted in the United States Marine Corps in 1975, and became an Aviation Ordnance Munitions technician. I finished my four-in-the-corps and did various odd jobs for 5 years before enlisting in the Army.

I was a company clerk, then Supply Sergeant in Combat Engineers, before reclassifying as a Military Journalist/Broadcaster. In 1999, my unit was sent to Bosnia (while it was a combat zone.) I got paid $900 combat pay and paid no federal income tax for the nine months we were there. I was aware that my broadcast videocamera was an attractive bullet-magnet whenever our mission took us outside the wire.

I was on duty on 11 Sep 01. I coordinated liaison with local broadcast and print media, scheduling access to subject-matter experts, facilitating the flow of critical information to the public.

I retired in late 2002 and went to college. But I found a civilian position at a nearby military installation, and am once again a broadcaster/journalist.

By the way, about three years ago, I (finally) had my epiphany, and began the long process of changing my gender. I still have the same job (with a couple of promotions) that I had when I started. But I have a new gender-appropriate name, and use the other restroom.

Three other members of my old active-duty major command have also made the gender switch. Four of us. That we know of. In a 2000-soldier command.

Thank us for our service. We each gave 20+ years defending our nation. We deserve the respect.

We deserve being treated as equals to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment